Live Music for Events in San Diego
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some of the most asked questions that our group gets, in hopes it can help you in event & wedding planning. If you have any questions about venues, wedding or event vendors, day-of setup...really anything, we've been there and we know the procedures well, feel free to ask!
Is your group only winds, or do you offer string and brass ensembles as well?
- We started off as a wind quintet, and now offer a string quartet and a full studio orchestra! Pretty much any small ensemble you are looking for we can put together, and we can discuss which group will sound great in your space.
- Check out some info on our ensembles here!
How much will it cost to hire Left Coast Music?
- This is one of the most important factors for many of our clients, and we want to ensure you that we are straight forward on our pricing - there are no hidden fees or anything that will pop up unexpectedly.
- Our prices depend on multiple factors, including how many players are in the ensemble, the distance to the event, how long we are staying, if you require an audio system, etc. We custom tailor every quote to the individual client, but generally our price structure runs between $550 for smaller ensembles to $2500 for larger groups per hour, and we do discount multiple hours. Our average price is $950 per hour.
- There is no price difference in whether we are playing for a wedding or a different type of event - the preparation it takes to get live music ready and perfected costs money. Just a snippet of what you're paying for and receiving: world class musicians who have spent years studying and honing their craft; expensive professional instruments and gear; customized arrangements of music; hours of practicing and preparing; client meetings to discuss musical requests and event information; and helping to support the arts!
What is the difference between the different ensembles?
- The full wind quintet has a lot more music written for the ensemble, including various movie themes, pop covers, etc.
- The wind trio can offer many of the same background jazz/swing pieces and wedding music, but is more limited in the scope of music available.
- Our string ensemble is primarily used for wedding ceremonies but covers traditional classical to pop music!
- To learn more about our different groups, check out Our Ensembles!
Do you DJ as well?
- Yes and no- we have live audio sound systems that we can provide for emcee duties, toasts, and light prerecorded background music. We have been able to provide live music for a while, and then played prerecorded tunes through our sound system for the remainder of the event. We don't have party lights or a dance floor.
- We do have a great connection with a few local DJ's and can offer package deals. Our live groups can play for the ceremony and cocktail hour, and the DJ can take over for the party afterwards. Don't hesitate to contact us about this service!
Is it easy to book Left Coast Music?
- Incredibly! After our initial discussion of your event, we will send a contract outlining all of the details we discussed. We require deposit of 50% of the total amount when signing the contract, and the remainder is due four weeks prior to your event.
- You can pay numerous ways: via Paypal or Venmo, Facebook pay, Check, & Cash. Credit cards are accepted via Paypal.
- As the event gets closer, we will discuss song options and the program for the event.
When should I book the music ensemble?
- As soon as you have a date and a location, please contact us. The sooner the better. We have noticed that there tend to be dates throughout the year that are popular with numerous clients, and we can only perform for one location at a time.
Are there any requirements for hiring a live music ensemble?
- We need chairs that match your event and have no arm rests.
- If you are renting our larger sound system, there needs to be a power drop nearby for us to plug into. Our smaller system is completely battery powered.
- For any events outside, we must be located under some form of shade, whether it be a tree canopy, a large umbrella, or a tent. We will not play outside during inclement weather since we can't risk damaging our instruments.
- For longer events, we will take a break every hour or so to rest.
What will Left Coast Musicians wear?
- Our standard dress is "concert black", which is a black button up shirt and slacks for men, and a black dress or blouse for women. We are happy to dress up into full tuxes if the event is formal, or dress more casually. Please discuss these options when setting up your contract.
Can you move between two locations?
- Yes, for example having a wedding at one location and a reception somewhere else, we are happy to accommodate. Our travel time will be factored in to our overall contracted rates.
- Keep in mind that it takes us about 15 minutes to tear down and 15 minutes to re-set up at a new location.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us and ask!